23 Nov 2010

Do the arithmetic, because something doesn't add up

I always knew that I should've paid more attention in Maths class... but who'd have thought that "the greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the Exponential Function."

Hokum? Humbug? Hogwash? Or just plain BS?

I am afraid, not.

You'll understand why, when you see the video by Dr. Albert A. Bartlett, Professor Emeritus, Department of Physics, University of Colorado at this link.

Dr. Bartlett explains the concept of exponential growth quite lucidly. At the end of the one hour video, I was stunned by the gross misconceptions on the true impact of simple things like 'percentage growth' in population, energy and economics. This video has given me a new perspective on many levels.

There is also a less satisfactory, 8-part version of it here on Youtube, which by the way, has been viewed by well over 2 millon people!

No comments: